Thursday, March 17, 2011

happy st. patrick's day!

©2011, Monika Roe

Spring must be here because when I look at the pathway on the side of my house it's filled with green just in time for St. Patrick's Day. Green WEEDS! I don't have the heart to pull them out just yet. I suppose it's partly because I like to see things growing again after winter, and partly because the weather hasn't been exactly conducive to yard work.

Weeds are crazy. Some of them are pretty and I don't think they really belong in the weed category. There's a weed I always try not to step on when I walk through my weed "garden". It has dainty little heart shaped leaves growing up the stem and little white flowers at the top. It looks like something from Alice In Wonderland. The Queen of Hearts would want this in her garden! I looked it up and it's called Shepherd's Purse (or Capsella bursa-pastoris).

That weed was the inspiration for this St. Patrick's Day wreath illo. I wanted to draw a clover wreath that had the influence of those heart shaped leaves. I also wanted it to be dainty and emphasize the freshness of spring.

I'll get around to pulling those weeds. But because they have inspired today's blog post, they have earned a reprieve!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment