Tuesday, March 8, 2011

mushroom ice cream is GOOD!

©2011, Monika Roe

What's better on a rainy day than artisan ice cream? Probably a lot of things, you're thinking! Who wants cold ice cream on a cold, grey, rainy day? Well, I do! Especially when there isn't a super long line out the door of The Penny Ice Creamery in downtown Santa Cruz.

My man and I had some time to kill before seeing The Illusionist (by Sylvain Chomet) at The Nick on Sunday so we ran through the rain to get a scoop. They always have such weird, no, I should say unique flavors! I tasted the Black Pepper Cheesecake, Candied Grapefruit, and Banana Toffee but when I tried the Candy Cap Mushroom I had to get it.

I didn't think it tasted much like mushroom at all, it tasted like maple. According to owner Zachary Davis that maple flavor IS the flavor of the Candy Cap Mushroom! Wild!

That was my splurge over the weekend. Be proud of me because the two women sitting next to us had an order of deep friend bananas and two orders of warm doughnuts with ice cream. Oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment